Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

Can we slow down?

I try to do at least ten minutes of yoga a day. As a rule, it really helps me keep sane. Honestly, I do little mini yoga breaks throughout the day. Even when I was teaching at a major university I would close my office door and take ten minute yoga breaks. But today was one of those days when it just did not happen. Needless to say, I have a stiff neck, I already took ibuprofen for an oncoming headache, I'm tired and I'm cranky!

So, why prey tell, did the yoga mom not stop and do a little yoga? I just didn't allow myself to slow down at all today.  The day started as usual, getting the kids ready for their days. Layna, my four-year-old, doesn't go to school on Fridays, so it's usually easier with her on Fridays. But I was in such a hurry that I packed her lunch as if she were going to school. That should have been my first clue about how I was going to handle my day. Here's a lowdown:

*Get kids ready for school (even though Layna wasn't going to school) and make sure the house is somewhat picked-up and dishes are at least done.
*Get AJ (my six-year-old) to school, which, because we recently moved, is now 15 minutes away. Make sure I have the gift cards and memory post-card thingy to give to the room mom for the teacher's end-of-the-year gift basket.
*Drive the 15 minutes home.
*Get on the computer to check my email because I didn't check it yesterday because our computer fixing genius was here fixing both computers for over five hours.
*Didn't finish email, but had to pack Layna back in the car, drive back to AJ's school and attend the cuter than cute "Three Piggy Opera".
*Drive back home to get the kids lunch.
*Try to finish checking email while kids eat lunch. Microwave some spinach lasagna for myself -yum! It counts as healthy because it has spinach in it doesn't it? ;)
*Still didn't finish with email, but had to leave to get kids to haircut appointments.
*Hair cuts went well, but the new girl didn't cut Layna's hair the way I like it. She was really nice though.
*Drive to Encinitas (next town over) to get tap shoes for Layna. AJ wants shoes too, so he gets some tennies.
*Finally drive back home and think I'm going to have time to take a break, but then remember, "oh, I need to finish checking my email". Get back on computer.
*Hear AJ crying from down the street. He was out riding his bike, crashed it, and gave himself a big asphalt burn on his elbow - ouch.
*Get AJ cleaned-up and resting, set Layna up to watch "Chipmunks: The Squeekwell" for the four-hundred-and-ninety-eighth time this month - ugh!
*Get back on computer. Finish email, but need to research Holistic Health Practitioner Schools, so I stay on the computer.
*Doorbell rings, AJ's friends are at the door saying that AJ crashed on his scooter and is down the street crying. I didn't even know he left the house. At least he remembered to take his walkie-talkie with him. Too bad he didn't remember to use it to call me when he hurt himself.
*Bring AJ back to the house, get him cleaned-up again, and leave him on my bed (where I can see if he walks by to leave the house again) with an ice-pack on his face - poor little guy.
*Get back on computer.
*Pounding on door... it's Jake, the three-year-old from across the street. "Can Layna play?" Of course she can, she needs to go out and get some excercise. She's been watching The frigging Squeekwell again! So off we go to ride bikes. This actually counts as relaxation because I really like talking to Jake's mom and playing with his one-year-old, redheaded, twin brothers. SO CUTE! Jake's a cutie too.
*It's getting a little cold, so we head back inside.
*Husband says, "can we order pizza". Sure - why not? But I remind him to order salad with dressing on the side so we have something healthy too. He doesn't remember to order the salad.
*Get back on the computer.
*Pizza arrives without the salad so I make artichokes because they are the only veggies Layna will eat.
*Eat, give the dog water, and realize, my gosh it's 8:30 - time to go to bed kiddos! That of course takes half-an-hour because of all the fooling around they do.
*Back on the computer - still can't figure out whether there is a state licensing exam for Holistic Health Practitioners and which schools qualify and which don't.
*Look at the clock and see that it's 10:00 PM! Yikes, better put-up a blog post!

So would you look at that day! No yoga, no stretching, no meditation, some deep breathing while trying not to get mad at the numerous tailgators (I have no idea how to spell that!).

So my question is, "Can we slow down"?  I mean really... couldn't I have taken a little break?

How do you all find moments of relaxation and peace in your busy lives?

Off to do some before-bed yoga & to have a nice cup of lavender, chamomile tea.... aaaggghhh...nice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment