Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ahh... The Moments of Peace between tantrums

Ok, so it turns out that I'm not the most consistent blogger around... sorry about that :(

I made a decision a couple of weeks ago that if blogging was going to add stress to my life - instead of adding peaceful living - I was not going to be consistent about it. It would seem a bit hypocritical don't you think? I'm thinking that when the kids go back to school I'll be more consistent. This, interestingly enough brings me to today's topic - tantrums! One of the reasons I've been off-line, so-to-speak, is because by the time I'm able to sit at my computer to blog I'm plumb worn out from my four-year-old's tantrums during the day. Unfortunately I'm not able to give any advice as to what to do about the tantrums... for that you'll need to go to Kimberley Blaine's website www.thegotomom.tv (also see it in my fav links). But what I would like to address is how much I relish the time between the tantrums.  She's napping right now, which is a rarity! And it is so quiet and lovely in the house. My son and my husband are at the beach, the dog is sleeping at my feet, and there isn't even a Gardener with a gasoline powered blower making noise outside. This is what Sundays should be about!  (I can't seem to get away from the power blower noise Monday through Saturday!) I am literally sitting here relishing the quiet. WOW!

I don't mean to in any way say that tantrums are not trying for the parents who have to deal with them. Even with yoga and meditation in my life they are really, really, really, hard to deal with. Sometimes I'm left with shaking hands and a major headache. But there is something to say about the juxtaposition of the tantrums against the quiet times. I really think it makes me more appreciative of the quiet times. I guess this could be said of any and all of the noise in our lives - yes even the power blowers. I live in a fairly quiet suburb of San Diego county in California, but it is still noisy! Even going to the beach is often really noisy. There are cars and planes and trains that rarely seem to cease adding to the noise along our coastline. So when I do find quiet, even at the beach sometimes, it is all the more luscious and I appreciate it deeply.

Here's a list of the places I find peaceful quiet:

The gardens at the Self Realization Fellowship in Encinitas, CA
The mountains (most recently in Idyllwild, CA with my best girlfriends)
The beach between planes, trains and automobiles. And only during the non-tourist season and during the week.
My house on the occasional Sunday when Layna is sleeping and the boys are out (okay, this is actually the first time that has happened... )

Where do you find quiet? How do you relish it?

I can't wait to hear from you all!

Love and Light,

Jen

PS ~ if you have a blog or a website you would like me to put in my links just let me know :)

2 comments:

  1. Quiet... often a difficult place to find! I love a quiet car after an especially noisy day teaching middle school. A quiet corner to read or just sit for a few minutes can be well worth the search. I will take anywhere I can find- front stoop, bedroom, on the back patio with the windows shut to mute the TV chatter, or most recently in the tent in the backyard set up for a night to accomodate a large sleepover! Just a brief respite is usually enough to re-charge for the rest of the day. But, the Idyllwild mountains were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Lizzy! Oh, I mean "Anonymous" :)

    ReplyDelete